Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today's English word

大家好,他们好吗?今天是星期二。I hope I said that right, if not I am sure someone would correct me. Well, I am slow starting understand more Chinese words, I think I know about 50 to 70 words if not more. After a busy few days I finally have the energy to post something new. I wanted to post something new each day, but I became a little busy. The last few days I have been trying to learn how to count in Chinese and I have got it down or at least I can count from 1 to 100 and I have also learned the days of the week.

The word for today is: Hiatus - which means, a gap or break, as where part is missing, any gap or interruption, as in time.

2 comments:

  1. hi,i miss you very much .where are you .will you be here tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm the one whom you are so sure of, I guest.

    And you are right in typing the charactors and sentences. But I'm not sure the sentence "他们好吗?" expressed what you've meaned.

    "他们好吗?" means "how are they?" The readers don't know who "they" are("they" are not among 大家), so it maight be a little confuse to the readers, who are they? why he ask us how they are?

    So,it's ok just say 大家好,今天是星期二。


    PS: It's great that you have learned how to say days of week. It's simple,isn't it?

    I've tolk you once you can easily to learn Chinese if you find the rules.

    week is 星期(xing1 qi1), there are seven days in a week, so we can arrange them from one to seven(一二三四五六七).

    so, here they come:

    星期一 --- Monday
    星期二 --- Tuesday
    星期三 --- Wednesday
    星期四 --- Thursday
    星期五 --- Friday
    星期六 --- Saturday
    星期七 --- Sunday

    What?! 星期七?! No! We don't say 星期七, Haha.
    It's 星期日/星期天 for Sunday. Don't forget about that.

    For me, it is more difficult to remember the days of week in English. I spell wrong sometimes.

    Oh, another thing, you can also use 周(zhou1) instead 星期.

    周 means "week / around / circle / surrounding". When 周 use in the days of week, 周 = 星期.

    Extra learning: The cantonese also use 礼拜(li3 bai4) instead 周/星期.

    礼拜 comes from HongKong in cantonese,I believe. 礼拜 means "hierurgy/church/cultus". Christian goes to church in weekend, and the 礼拜 outcoming from that.

    Have a good day~~~

    ReplyDelete